Two Fargo apartment residents burned in grease fireFARGO –- Two south Fargo apartment residents were taken to the hospital with minor burns after a pot of hot cooking oil started on fire Monday evening.
By: INFORUM, Forum staff reports
FARGO –- Two south Fargo apartment residents were taken to the hospital with minor burns after a pot of hot cooking oil started on fire Monday evening.
Fargo firefighters got the call around 8:30 p.m. when residents in the apartment complex at 1843 13 ½ St. S. saw smoke coming from the upper floors, said Battalion Chief Dane Carley.
When fire crews arrived, the fire was already out. A hot pot of cooking oil that started on fire was to blame, Carley said. A man who lived in the apartment had first-degree burns on his face and first- and second-degree burns on his hands.
“It sounds like he was trying to move it, probably, and it splashed on him and burned him,” Carley said.
A woman who lived there also had first-degree burns on her hands, he said.
The hallway of the apartment also had burn marks. Carley guessed that the occupants tried to carry the burning pan outside their apartment to keep it from smoking up.
“That’s what everybody’s first reaction is. It’s amazing how often that happens,” Carley said.
Carley said both were transported via F-M Ambulance to Sanford Health, and he had no other information on them. The injuries appeared minor, he said.
He advised anyone faced with a grease fire to cover the fire and remove the pan from heat or use an extinguisher, but not to use water.