Fargo women is afraid her neighbors are trying to burn her homeFargo, ND (WDAY TV)- A Fargo woman is scared for her life after she says some angry neighbors tried to burn down her apartment.
By: Kay Cooley, WDAY
Fargo, ND (WDAY TV)- A Fargo woman is scared for her life after she says some angry neighbors tried to burn down her apartment.
Fargo Fire crews first called the Monday deck fire a case of unattended smoking materials.
Michelle Rae/Apartment Deck Caught Fire: “I never expected to come home to my house on fire.”
Michelle Rae is afraid to live in her Amber Valley Parkway apartment building after coming home around noon Monday to fire crews extinguishing flames from her unit's deck.
Rae: "Terrifying. I'm a single parent with a child. Thank goodness neither one of us were home, but I had a dog in here.”
Fire investigators first said it started from a cigarette butt.
Ryan Erickson/Fargo Fire Marshal: "The cause appears to be consistent with smoking materials igniting nearby combustibles."
But Rae has a different idea after a neighbor threatened her about three weeks back.
Rae: “At that point I just blew it off.”
Threatening to burn down her apartment...
Rae: “At this point, what do you think?”
In a fire just like this one.
Rae: “If there's a verbal threat being made, and then three weeks later it's my reality, to me that's no coincidence.”
Erickson: “I can't really speculate towards that, it's an ongoing investigation.”
Rae says looking at all of the damage underneath her deck; it appears the fire could've started down here, rather than in a cigarette container on the second floor.
Rae: “That threw suspicion to me.”
Erickson: “It was contained to that deck and the underside of the deck. Crews responded and quickly extinguished it.”
Rae has already spoken to investigators, apartment management even lawyers, trying to get some help.
Rae: “I'm waiting for what's next.”
But in the meantime, is living in panic, and paranoia.
Rae: “In the end of it, how am I supposed to just keep going? Oh your house is safe, oh the house maybe, but am I?”
The Fargo Fire Marshal would not comment on arson as a possible cause and says more information will be available after the investigation ends.