Surgery saves Florida snake after it eats towelTampa, FL (CNN) - You've probably heard of snakes eating rats, insects -- but what about an entire towel? That's what a boa constrictor in south Florida ingested last week.
By: Dion Lim, CNN, CNN
Tampa, FL (CNN) - You've probably heard of snakes eating rats, insects -- but what about an entire towel? That's what a boa constrictor in south Florida ingested last week.
Dr. Julia Shakeri – BluePearl Veterinary Partners: "The snake's name is Killer."
Six-foot-long Killer is feeling a bit groggy tonight. The 9-year old boa constrictor just underwent surgery after eating something a little unconventional along with his dinner.
Dr. Julia Shakeri: "So pretty much this entire length of the snake had towel in it."
Yep. Dr. Julia Shakeri of Bluepearl Veterinary Partners in Tampa discovered the ravenous reptile, had eaten a rat on Tuesday, which happened to be clinging to a towel, which ultimately, got stuck.
Dr. Julia Shakeri: "It causes an obstruction which is life-threatening. It's an emergency and the treatment is usually surgery if you can catch it before the intestines actually rupture."
After the hour-long removal procedure, Dr. Shakeri was able to successfully remove the towel. While a towel-eating-snake may not be something you or i are used to hearing about?
Dr. Julia Shakeri: "It's a common surgery, on an uncommon subject."
So what's next for Killer? Well, after two weeks of rest and recovery, he'll be back to normal in his rat-eating ways.